I’m Virag, a 24-year old artist and maker based in West Yorkshire, England. In 2021, I have graduated from the University of Huddersfield with a BSc Textile Crafts & Arts degree specialising in embroidery .
At the moment, as an artist & practitioner, I work is mainly focusing on textiles, hand embroidery, upcycling, and craftivism. Sustainability and an eco-conscious mindset is embedded in most of my work and I am a huge advocate for ethical, sustainable and slow fashion & textiles. During this past year, merging my craftsmanship skills with activism (craftivism) has been a huge part of my practice because I get to use my arts & crafts skills rather than my voice to advocate for what I believe in & passionate about. I strongly believe that as an artist, I have the power to make a change or at least start a conversation about things that needs to be changed in order to build a more ethical, sustainable, intersectional and balanced life for us and our planet.
I also really enjoy
- travelling & discovering the beauty within the UK,
- roller skating ,
- pottery -quite a new hobby of mine,
- thrifting – if this even considered a hobby?!
- upcycling some clothes -such a fun activity
- watching films & series – loving my fantasy & sci-fi ones
- spending time with friends & family
- creating digital illustrations on Procreate
- drawing mandalas
- and I even do some visible mending sometimes
If you want to keep up-to-date with me and see some behind the scenes & extra content, definitely make sure you follow me on Instagram as I am the most active there.